In April 2016, Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) started the Global Scientists and Engineers Program (GSEP). Under this program, qualified international students who have little or no proficiency in the Japanese language are now able to enroll at Tokyo Tech to pursue a bachelor of engineering degree in Japan.
GSEP is a program for international students striving to be scientists and engineers with a global perspective in transdisciplinary fields. Proficiency in the Japanese language is not required for admission, as courses will be taught in English. However, students will be required to study basic Japanese and will be encouraged to further familiarize themselves with the language and culture throughout the course of their studies. Students who successfully acquire advanced Japanese skills may take elective courses taught in Japanese as well.
Applicants must satisfy the conditions specified below.
- (1) Applicants must not hold Japanese nationality, and are required to possess a College Student (ryugaku) Visa or
- intend to acquire one by the time of enrollment.
- (2) Applicants should be at least 18 years old by March 31, 2019.
- (Note: If applicants have completed 12 years of regular schooling or have graduated with a high school equivalency (acceptable by Japanese standards) by March 31, 2019, they are still eligible to apply even if they are under 18 years old.).
- (3) Applicants must have completed or be expecting to complete a 12-year regular education outside of Japan by
- March 2019 (excluding Japanese programs located outside of Japan that have been recognized by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (hereinafter referred to as “the Ministry”) as equivalent to a Japanese high school program), or are designated by the Ministry (see Note 1), or are designated by the Ministry as well as by Tokyo Tech (see Note 2).
- (4) Applicants must have obtained one of the following minimum scores in English proficiency tests:
(a) TOEIC Listening & Reading:700
(d) IELTS Academic Module:6.0
- (5) Applicants who fall under the following conditions may have their admission/acceptance to the program
- ・Applicants who were expected to graduate but could not satisfy the required academic conditions and qualifications by the date separetely specified by Tokyo Tech.
- (6) Those who have passed the examination for the GSEP program cannot apply for additional entrance
- examinations at Tokyo Tech. Exceptions can be made if a letter of withdrawal submitted by the applicant to the GSEP program is approved by Tokyo Tech.
See more info for this scholarship here